Friday, February 10, 2023

Some things change,


You know I love to keep track of anniversaries.  This weekend (11 February) marks the 165th anniversary of the visit of the Blessed Virgin Mary to Saint Bernadette Soubirous at Massabielle by Lourdes, the home of that simple 14-year-old-girl who has become the heavenly patroness of our parish and school.  Back in 1858, nobody in that town except the priest, and he only barely, had encountered the title “The Immaculate Conception” by which the “beautiful lady” identified herself to the girl; and when Bernadette repeated that strange phrase to the priest, he knew from whom she had learned those words: the immaculate Mother of God. 

Other anniversaries on which I am keeping my eyes these days are the three-year markers from 2020, the year Covid marched in and changed our lives and our world.  We are still not shed of the more pernicious effects of that plague and our leaders’ response to it, but as even the federal government will soon admit the emergency is ended, we are not wrong to consider ourselves moved on to the next stage.  I may revisit certain events in their progression over coming months, that we may all learn from what we have experienced.

But three years ago this week, Covid was but a distant rumble, and I was on retreat in West Virginia, and preparing to conduct the Cardinal’s Appeal on the weekend of my return.   I wrote a letter to you all that reflected on my disposition toward asking for and encouraging giving on your part, and how I came to that.  The column attracted a lot of attention around the country as people picked up on my characterizations of certain famous churchmen.  You may not have realized that people in Nebraska and New York were reading and commenting on my little bulletin letter, if you do not follow “Catholic media” or whatever they be called.  Lucky you.  They all missed the point and purpose of my letter, but I am fairly confident that you, immersed with me in the proper context, did not.

Well, I am going to my hermitage in West Virginia the week, and when I return it will be time for our Annual Appeal, as you have already begun to realize.  So I want to share with you, again, a letter explaining my approach to such matters, and I am know that you in your charity will not take it as incendiary, but rather encouraging.  Click here to read Why, and Why Not Thank you for giving me that confidence. 

Monsignor Smith